Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Playstation's Move is Here, Should You be Excited?

On Friday I went to Kmart and purchased the $99 Playstation Move Bundle (you get a $25 Playstation gaming coupon with purchase) and was excited.  I had read some of the reviews and it looked like it was getting a B or a C rating.  I wanted to kick the tires for myself.  First off it is easy to hook up.  Simply plug in the "eye" and charge the stick.  The move stick uses the same charger as the controller so no need to buy the charging station.  It charges fairly fast and was ready to go in just under half and hour.  The stick is lighter then Wii mote and the buttons are mapped well with "T" button as the trigger (makes sense). 



So lets get to the game Sports Champions.  The game has six events including disc golf, archery, gladiator, volleyball, bocce ball and table tennis. 

Disc golf - This was hard to get used to and I felt the move was almost tracking me too well.  Great at a party and was easy to start.  The game gives you three discs like clubs.  It was hard to master but was pretty good entertainment wise - B

Archery - I just had the one move stick on Friday and this is one of the games you have the option of using 2 sticks.  Playing against the computer is pretty fun at the bronze level.  Its not just shooting at a bullseye.  In the second challenge I shot at watermelons that appeared then disappeared.  Better then anticipated and was anxious to see how it worked with 2 sticks - B

Gladiator - I was actually a little disappointed with this.  Again this is one you can use 2 sticks or 1.  It was easy to learn but did not seem all that much fun.  The stick is accurate but I just not that impressed.  I just kept swing at people's legs and it seemed to work most of the time.  The shield bashing is kind of cool because as you use it your shield breaks apart.  Again I will try it later with 2 sticks - C

VolleyBall - In my opinion the ace in the deck.  I found myself working a small sweat over this one.  You can use 1 or 2 sticks again but this was great with just one.  Great tutorials and easy to learn.  Learning to jump serve was great and waving the stick to block .  The best of the bunch - A

Bocce Ball - The tutorials were nice but I'm guilty I have never played this before so it there was a bit of curve before the fun could be had.  I need to spend more time with this one before I grade it - Incomplete

Table Tennis - Sounds like a great concept but not so much.  I had higher hopes for this one but was let down.  I found this game to be the most inaccurate when it came to the stick.  Fun but got boring fast. - C

There is a demo disc that includes some of the upcoming and current games for Playstation Move.  The demo disc is neat to show off a few things the Move can do.  Eye Pet was a stand out I don't know if I would buy it but it is a way to get people intrigued by the new capabilities.  The disc is a nice touch to add with the bundle and some of the demos are on PSN so its not a dealbreaker if you don't buy the bundle but I have a small complaint.  I was looking foward to the Tiger Woods 11 demo but it does not support left handed golfers, yet each of the Playstation Sports Champions games ask you that first.  I guess EA is too concerned about their online league passes to make a complete demo (maybe if I paid $10...) so I think I will wait for the John Daly golf game.

All in all I will be the first to admit it was cool even though Nintendo did motion controls 3 - 4 years sooner but I will argue that it didn't stop me from buying the move or a new cell phone because it had more "bells and whistles" on it.  Technology is always going to improve and I'm guilty I will be an early adopter when I can be.

Final Grade - Playstation Move Sports Champions Bundle  - B

No comments:

Post a Comment